Your Move Games
April 17, 2014, 10:06:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Championship Tournament Feb. 18-19 2012 (Cambridge, MA) > $1200 in cash prizes!  (Read 13764 times)
Kevin
Administrator

« on: May 14, 2011, 05:52:02 pm »

After the success of the Battleground Championship Tournament in Cambridge, Massachusetts a few weeks back, we're going to do it again!  Grin

Look for New, Improved things in bold.

I'll be judging it again, and putting up the cash prizes Over $1200 total will be awarded to 8 different people this time, as compared to $800 total awarded to 3 different people last time.  

You're welcome.   Wink

The tournament is happening Saturday, Feb. 18 and Sunday, Feb. 19, 2012 at Pandemonium Books & Games in Central Square, Cambridge.  Same place as last time.

The format will be similar to the last tournament:  Swiss on Saturday, cut to final 8 for Sunday (with only those having net winning records being eligible to make the final 8.  People who go 2-2 will have to play tie-breaker games vs. each other where only the winner makes the final 8.).  

My assistant judge is being trained to play games, so that if we get an odd number of people the odd-one-out will get to play a speed game vs. the assistant judge, which will count toward their record.

In addition, there will be a "Sunday Speed Swiss" tournament, with smaller prizes, to ensure that everybody has 2 full days of tournament gaming!  Local players who only want to play Sunday will be able to do so as well.  Also, players who are knocked out in the quarterfinals will have the opportunity to join the tournament, and will be credited with "draws" for any round they miss (though there's a chance they won't miss any rounds).

The Sunday Speed Swiss tournament will consist entirely of half(ish)-map speed games, with the army points varying wildly.  Details below.

Prizes awarded:

(I'm putting up the cash and the medals.  The free faction/decks will be given by Pandemonium/YMG, and are subject to their approval.  Perhaps they'll toss in other prizes as well...  Wink  )

1st Place, Championship:  $500  Shocked  and a "gold" medal
2nd Place, Championship:  $250 and a "silver" medal
3rd Place, Championship:  $175 and a "bronze" medal
4th Place, Championship:  $100

1st Place:  Sunday Speed Swiss:  $100 and a "gold" medal
2nd Place:  Sunday Speed Swiss:  $50 and a "silver" medal
3rd Place:  Sunday Speed Swiss:  $35 and a "bronze" medal
4th Place:  Sunday Speed Swiss:  $20

1st place new/casual:  a free faction ($30 value) and a "gold" medal
2nd place new/casual:  a free deck ($15 value) and a "silver" medal
3rd place new/casual:  a free deck ($15 value) and a "bronze" medal
4th place new/casual:  a free deck ($15 value)

The Giant Slayer Prize:  a custom-made map board and new, improved card holders.  Donated by gull2112.  This prize will be awarded to someone who does not make the final 4 and did not make the final 3 in 2011.  It will go to whoever defeated the person with the best record who did make the final 4.  If nobody qualifies, it will go to the top new/casual player.

Endurance prize:  everyone who completes all 4 Saturday games gets $10 off a $30+ purchase of Battleground stuff at the store.  Since the entry fee is $10, this essentially means you get your money back in savings if you buy stuff.

New/casual players are of course eligible to win cash prizes as well as the new/casual player prizes.  With the semifinals and finals of Championship happening at the same time as the Sunday Speed Swiss, nobody will be able to win more than one cash prize.
----------------

Schedule:

10:00 AM - tournament registration opens
10:29 AM - tournament registration closes and people are paired for round 1.

10:30 AM start of round 1:  2000 Points, Breaking Point, Open Map.
Games completed & reported by 1:20  (I expect most games to finish much earlier than that, and folks to grab a bite to eat after this game.)

1:30 PM - start of round 2 - 1500 Points, Ticking Clock, Terrain.
Games completed & reported by 3:35.

3:45 PM - start of round 3 - 2000 Points, Total Warfare, Open Map, Secret-and-Simultaneous Deployment, Special Condition.  
Games completed and reported by 7:05.  (I expect most games to finish much earlier than that, and folks to grab a bite to eat after this game.)

7:15PM - start of round 4 - 2000 points, Ticking Clock, Terrain.
Games completed and reported by 9:35.

9:45PM - start of the tie-breaker speed round (played by only a few people).  This will start earlier if possible.  1150 points, Open Reduced Map, Breaking Point.   (Under special circumstances this game can be played early Sunday morning, as happened with one game in 2011.)

Sunday Schedule:

Quarterfinals at 10:00 AM.  2000 Points, Ticking Clock, Terrain, Special Condition.

Semifinals:  2000 Points, Ticking Clock, Terrain, Special Condition.

Finals:  2000 Points, Total Warfare, Terrain.
(There will be finals games to determine both first place and third place.)

With the tournament tree set, the semifinals and finals games will start as soon as both players are available.  I reserve the right to judge games which are taking too long, but there should be plenty of time.

Sunday Speed Swiss:

90 minute rounds (except for round 1, which is 2 hours to folks can grab lunch) starting at 11:00 AM , 1:00PM, 2:30 PM, and 4:00PM.

Most games will be Breaking Point on an open "half map." (Fold the map in almost half.  The deployment zone must be 15" wide, and flush with one of the corners.)  Points will be (random) 950, 1100, 1250, or 1400; there may be a Special Situation in at least one of these.   If time allows, two of these games (probably the first and last) will instead be 2000-point Ticking Clock Coin Games.

In each case players get 2 Command Actions, minimum 2 Core, maximum 1 Elite of each type.

The Sunday Speed Swiss is considered a separate tournament (though one entry fee covers both), so players may play a different faction from what they played in the main tournament.  People who are knocked out of the final rounds are welcome to play in the Speed Swiss, though they may end up playing fewer games depending on when they begin (and thereby be less likely to win).

If turnout for the Sunday Speed Swiss tournament is 8 or fewer, we will do 2 speed games at 950 and 1400, then a regular game (2000 points & terrain) in round 3.  But hopefully we will have sufficient turnout for it to go four rounds.

--------------------------
Special  rules:

Special unit, faction, and scenario rules have been put on a google document.  

This is in addition to the google document which tracks all Official Rule Changes, all of which will be used.

Terrain and Special Conditions:  Both Terrain and Special Conditions are determined as follows:  three random ones are presented, then each player "vetoes" one of them.  If only one of these is present, it is randomly determined who has to make the first veto; the person has the option to veto, or to make the opponent do the first veto, but if the opponent makes the first veto the opponent gets 1 free foresight.

In the quarterfinals & semifinals, which have both terrain and a special condition, again three of each are presented.  Each player gets first veto on one of these.  First vetoes are made secretly-and-simlutaneously, as are second vetoes.

-------------

Special Swiss Rule
, which applies to both the Championship and the Sunday Speed tournament:

When two people have the same win-loss record, ties are broken by the win-loss records of the opponents, as is standard.  However, if two people with the same win-loss record have played each other, and whoever lost that game is currently ranked above whoever won it, the person who lost is moved down in rankings to just below the person who won it.

For example, if 4 people go 3-1:  A (opponent record 11-5) B (opponent record 9-7)  C (opponent record 8-8) and D (opponent record 6-10), rankings would normally go A, B, C, D.  If C defeated A, and B defeated D, then rankings will go B, C, A, D.

If there is a "loop" or other paradox, then nobody's rank changes based on the games that formed the loop.  (For example, if in the above example  A beat B, who beat C, who beat A, nobody changes position and the ranks remain A, B, C, D.)

This rule only applies when two people has equal win-loss records.  For example 3-1 always beats 2-2, even if the person who went 2-2 defeated the person who went 3-1.

---------------

Best New/Casual Player will be determined as follows:

In Championship, only New/Casual players who win at least 2 games will be eligible to win prizes.  Place will be determined by who advances the furthest.  Ties will be broken by one of the following options:

- record in the Sunday Speed Swiss if both players plan to play in that tournament.  If not...
- A tiebreaker game if both players are available & willing.  If not...
- Opponent record.

If fewer than 3 new/casual players win at least 2 games, then any unawarded prizes will be awarded based on Sunday Speed Swiss record, where there is no minimum victory requirement.

-------------------------

Other stuff:

- For both the Championship Tournament and the Sunday Speed Swiss players must choose one faction and stick with it.  All armies must be pure faction only--no mercenaries.  (Though players are allowed to play "Monsters & Mercenaries" as their faction.)  Players may play a different faction in the Sunday Speed Swiss than they played in the Championship Tournament.

- As with the Championship Tournament 2011, many measures to ensure clean games will be practiced:  table dice, armies verified by judges, and all units are put in provided felt-backed card holders to prevent them from accidentally moving.

- Also as with the Championship Tournament in 2011, the judge (= me) is considered the final arbiter of both rules and measurements.  The judge should be called over immediately to resolve any disagreement or ambiguity related to rules or measurements.

- Registration is $10, which gets you into both tournaments.  This is very cheap--players are strongly encouraged to show appreciation by purchasing additional things at the store.

--------------------

Once again, i hope that everyone who was there last time will return for more action, and that we see some new people as well!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 12:43:36 pm by Kevin » Logged

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill
Kevin
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 05:55:32 pm »

One thing which local folks may have noticed.  This tournament is, somewhat deliberately, crowding Total Confusion.  I spoke with Niko about this, and we're in agreement:   after 2 years of low attendance, Total Confusion will go back to being a local, casual event.  Hopefully someone will be there to run "win the deck" demos and maybe some local folks will be gaming casually. 

But if you're planning one trip to Massachusetts to see lots of people and get in lots of Battleground, come to the Championship Tournament!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 06:03:36 pm by Kevin » Logged

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill
gull2112
Administrator

From the RUSH faction

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 10:25:26 pm »

One thing which local folks may have noticed.  This tournament is, somewhat deliberately, crowding Total Confusion.  I spoke with Niko about this, and we're in agreement:   after 2 years of low attendance, Total Confusion will go back to being a local, casual event.  Hopefully someone will be there to run "win the deck" demos and maybe some local folks will be gaming casually. 

But if you're planning one trip to Massachusetts to see lots of people and get in lots of Battleground, come to the Championship Tournament!

Why does this whole post seemed aimed at me? Hey that's cool, I'm down for it and the dates are fine.

"Of course, the Goblin Bombchucker is always a solution."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/
Kevin
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 10:29:21 pm »

Why does this whole post seemed aimed at me?

Not just you.  Smiley  Dave also came to Totalcon this past year of course. Ditto Ron, who's from Maine.

Chad_YMG
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 08:39:31 am »

Awesome!  I had a blast at this year's tournament and I'm very excited to play again.  (I'm also glad that you enjoyed it enough to want to repeat!)

David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules
Zelc
Playtester

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 10:11:15 am »

I'll have to see what my schedule is, but I'll try to come over.  I don't expect to win this one Tongue.

Kevin
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 12:55:51 pm »

Glad you two are planning to return!

Everyone, if you know ahead of time that you can't make weekend X but could make weekends Y and Z, post here and I'll try to put the tournament on a weekend that works for as many folks as possible.  At the moment we're aiming for March 3-4, but we won't lock the day down until the fall or early winter (in order to make sure that Pandemonium doesn't have a conflicting even it wants to run).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 09:36:59 am by Kevin » Logged

Kevin
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 04:21:05 pm »

Updated above with the tentative schedule and special scenario rules.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 08:46:20 pm by Kevin » Logged

BubblePig
Sexy Shoeless God of War
Administrator

Flee Before Me !!!

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 11:42:44 pm »

I plan on coming, that makes three.

Moose
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 07:06:16 am »

Schedules permitting I will be there again.  Have to redeem my horrible performance from this year  Grin
March 3rd (my birthday btw) would work well for me.
Kevin
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 09:14:46 am »

Glad to see folks coming back for more! 

Updated above with a new special Swiss ranking rule, slightly modified scenario rules, and slightly more generous Sunday Speed Swiss prizes.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:18:39 am by Kevin » Logged

Karasu
Playtester

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 03:04:47 am »

If it wouldn't cost me a ridiculous amount of money to get across the Atlantic I'd be interested.

As it is, I can't.

Karasu
Kevin
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 06:17:56 am »

I suggest you get a one-way ticket to Boston as a Xmas present, then buy a ticket home with your winnings (or stow away on a freighter, as the case may be).   Smiley
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:09:39 am by Kevin » Logged

Karasu
Playtester

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 02:34:07 pm »

Nice idea, but I don't have enough annual leave from work to cover the time from Christmas to the Tournament date.

Sad
gull2112
Administrator

From the RUSH faction

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 05:14:41 pm »

Nice idea, but I don't have enough annual leave from work to cover the time from Christmas to the Tournament date.

Sad

I don't know where you are, but don't all Europeans get copious amounts of time off, or is that just more anarcho-conservative shock talk?

"Of course, the Goblin Bombchucker is always a solution."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: